How To Stay Motivated at Work
More than once or twice, I’ve been asked how do I stay motivated. It can be daunting when you have a heap of to-do’s and such little time to accomplish them in. It drains you quicker than the Vampire Lestat.
When looking forward to sitting before your television set to watch an episode of my favourite show doesn’t see me through the dry hours, you know you need an arsenal of tricks or “kicks.”
1) Stay Challenged. Find a project that challenges your skill. It keeps you sharp and focused on what is important to you.
2) Prioritize. Order breeds peace of mind, I always say. So, to enjoy any task, learn to do it at the right time – in the order of important&urgent first.
3) Take Time Out. Take time out to think or recharge your creative, psychological, emotional juice. The body needs rest to reboot and perform better. When you face a block, take timeout from that task and you’ll find when you return to it, you will have acquired some fresh insight. Yup, timeout can do that.
4) Stay Ambitious. It’s perfectly healthy to be ambitious. What this means is you leave a trail of completed projects or lined up some project and plans that spell out your mission clearly. Ambition is a great motivator.
5) Reward Yourself. When you tick off an item on your to-do list score yourself some points. And at the end of the day, reward yourself. That chunk of chocolate cake you saved since Christmas will come in handy…ewwww. Just kidding.
Keeping motivated in itself can be a motivation but I’ve found “motivating others” to be my personal “kicker.” Yeah, and there’s also my soppy poems (no one has read, thank God).
“Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.”
— Erica Jong, Author
Posted with WordPress for BlackBerry.